Why This Project


Tsisnaasjini' is the Navajo name for Mount Blanca. Also known as the Sacred Mountain of the East, Blanca is one of the four directional mountains that mark the boundaries of the Navajo Nation.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Massif

I love the term massif. The word plunges straight from my brain to the pit of my stomach. It holds everything I know about this mass of the earth's crust, which isn't very much.

I started this blog so that I could learn more about her, but I'm not naturally inclined to absorb facts. I tend to forget them immediately if I don't write them down. From my research (and the sticky I left for myself on my desktop), I know that the Blanca Massif includes four peaks, and that the highest -- Blanca, herself -- hits 14,285 feet in less than 5 miles.

When I think of the word massif, let it settle in my mind, I see an aerial view. I see the topography from above, absorb the vertiginous grandeur of her ongoing creative act. She is still in the process of being born.

Because "mass" is a verb of action as well as a noun. Slow, steady, deliberate action, like the movements of the Earth that are creating her, inch by inch, century by century.

When I first moved from California to Colorado, I ached for the ocean. I felt landlocked in Boulder, where I lived at the time. I was afraid I'd eventually suffocate with the sea so far away.

Then one foggy morning, I left my apartment and glanced up at the Flatirons, which loomed over my neighborhood, and I realized that these misted, motionless vertical slabs and peaks were not motionless at all. Like the crests of giant waves, they were rising and subsiding -- only their trajectories required eons to complete. The ocean was with me; it would always be with me, and in the massive crests and crevices of the mountains, I can capture its immense, rolling space with my finite human eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment