Why This Project


Tsisnaasjini' is the Navajo name for Mount Blanca. Also known as the Sacred Mountain of the East, Blanca is one of the four directional mountains that mark the boundaries of the Navajo Nation.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Loss

Blanca's presence in my life helps me cope with the sense of loss that haunts my subconscious. All of the friends, city streets, casts of light, poems that I've loved, buildings I remember seem to be constantly in the process of disintegrating, the way the mandala in a kaleidoscope collapses into colorful shards and light at the slightest shift of the tube.


Blanca brings the shards into focus. Just knowing that she's there -- always there, barring some act of war or massive geological upheaval -- brings the disintegrating fragments of memory to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment