Why This Project


Tsisnaasjini' is the Navajo name for Mount Blanca. Also known as the Sacred Mountain of the East, Blanca is one of the four directional mountains that mark the boundaries of the Navajo Nation.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Dirt Road





Taking the dirt road
instead of the new highway
we cross paths with crows. 

When we first moved to Blanca Flats, I thought I'd never be able to deal with the three miles of rutted dirt that lead from Highway 160 to our house. I didn't know then that the roads are graded at least a couple of times a month by huge, dinosaur-like machines, making the washboard effect slightly less jarring. I also hadn't learned to appreciate the fact that the wind carves those ruts in the roads the way it leaves ripples on the surface of water. 

Highway 160 -- broad and freshly paved -- is relatively new. At one time, the primary route from the town of Blanca to Alamosa was a dirt road called Estrella. Estrella still exists, winding all the way to Alamosa (by far the largest city in the Valley, with a population of around 9,000). Estrella is still somewhat of a thoroughfare for locals who don't feel like dealing with the super-sized RVs or out-of-state drivers who are just passing through. 

I love driving around on the dirt roads now, admiring the self-built hybrid homes and trailer compounds. I love the road signs out stuck in the middle of nowhere, like some rural existentialist's idea of a joke. I love driving fast and sending up a long tail of dust when the road's just been graded. And I love the way the crows insist on sailing in front of my car at a stately pace, their black wings scissoring the air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment